Examples could include:
- Immigrants who are building a new life in a new country
- Someone who must find a new career after becoming injured or disabled at his previous employment.
- A parent struggling to make ends meet while ze attends school after zir divorce.
- Parents who are having trouble repaying medical debt from the birth of a premature baby.
- Trouble with finances after the unexpected death of a spouse.
A good example of situational poverty caused by an environmental disaster would be the destruction of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina or forest fires in Northern Alberta. In both cases, many people were homeless, lost their jobs, and had nothing to their name.
Since situational poverty usually has one specific cause, this type of poverty is most often temporary. Once the main problem has been addressed, the person's financial situation improves. For example, once a single mother finishes her schooling, she has a much greater earning power to help take care of her children.
2) Go to MAKETHEMONTH.CA
3) Run through the scenario, each recording your SACRIFICES, STRESSORS, and SUCCESSES in a chart.
4) Write an overview of your experience and answer: Did you survive the month (including rent due tomorrow?
5) Hand in both the chart and overview.
6) Your presenter will share your experiences with the class.