RESEARCH AND INQUIRY SKILLS
- Exploring: explore topics related to equity, diversity, and/or social justice, and formulate questions to guide their research;
- Investigating: create research plans, and locate and select information relevant to their chosen topics, using appropriate social science research and inquiry methods;
- Processing Information: assess, record, analyse, and synthesize information gathered through research and inquiry;
- Communicating and Reflecting: communicate the results of their research and inquiry clearly and effectively, and reflect on and evaluate their research, inquiry, and communication skills, research and inquiry;
FOUNDATIONS/UNDERSTANDING SOCIAL CONSTRUCTION
- The Social Construction of Identity: demonstrate an understanding of how identity is socially constructed and internalized, and of the impact of social norms and stereotypes;
- Power Relations: demonstrate an understanding of the dynamics of power relations in various social contexts
- Social Awareness and Individual Action: demonstrate an understanding of the impact individual action can have on equity, social justice, and environmental issues, and of how the media can create awareness of these issues.
- Media and Pop Culture: assess the impact of media and popular culture on equity and social justice issues.
EQUITY, SOCIAL JUSTICE, AND CHANGE
- Ethnocultural Diversity and History in Canada: describe challenges faced by various racial, cultural, and national communities in Canada and the contributions these communities have made to this country; analyse a range of historical and contemporary equity and social justice issues and the impact of economic and environmental factors on these issues;
- Equity and Social Justice in Canada: demonstrate an understanding of a range of historical and contemporary Canadian equity and social justice issues;
- Social Activism: demonstrate an understanding of how social activism can be used to support equity and social justice objectives.
- Policies, Strategies, and Initiatives: compare policies, strategies, and initiatives used by various groups, including indigenous peoples and women, to address equity and social justice issues in a variety of jurisdictions.
- Leadership: evaluate the contributions of individuals and groups and/or movements identified with specific aspects of the struggle for equity and social justice
PROMOTING EQUITY AND SOCIAL JUSTICE/PERSONAL AND SOCIAL ACTION
- Respecting Diversity: demonstrate an understanding of how to interact successfully in settings characterized by diversity, including school, workplace, and community settings, and ways to promote respect for diversity in these settings. Demonstrate an understanding of how personal values, knowledge, and actions can contribute to equity and social justice, and assess strategies that people use to address equity and social justice concerns;
- Human Rights, Equity, and Antidiscrimination: demonstrate an understanding of their rights and responsibilities relating to equity and human rights, and of how to appropriately address situations involving discrimination, harassment, and the denial of rights;
- Social Action and Personal Engagement: design, implement, and evaluate an initiative to address an equity or social justice issue.